Michael LaTorra published 'What Is Buddhist Transhumanism?' in 2015, covering goals such as reducing suffering and realizing awakening, but with the assistance of scientific knowledge and technological means.
James Hughes, a former Buddist monk himself, has written of a 'Cyborg Buddha' as analogy for combining practices such as meditation to increase empathy with established transhumanist ideas such as cyborgization in a term he describes as 'moral enhancement'. The Cyborg Buddha project has undergone as small amount of critique, in fashions comparable to the issues faced by christian transhumanism. Commentary has also come from India, where commentators appear open to the idea.
- What Is Buddhist Transhumanism?
- Michael LaTorra explains Buddhist Transhumanism in a nutshell
- If You See a Cyborg in the Road, Kill the Buddha: Against Transcendental Transhumanism
- The Maitreya and the Cyborg: Connecting East and West for Enriching Transhumanist Philosophy
- Programmers say this Buddhist Bitcoin could “disrupt religion”