Calico is a California-based life extension research company founded in 2013 by Google and headed Arthur D. Levinson. Its name is an abbreviation of "California Life Company". Calico is owned by Google's parent company, Alphabet Inc.
The company was the focus of on of the first ever transhumanist direct action events in 2014 when activists organised by Alexis Turchin in New York and California called for indefinite life extension.
- Miller, Claire Cain and Andrew Pollack (18 September 2013). "Tech Titans Form Biotechnology Company". New York Times. "The company, Calico, was conceived and backed by Google, whose co-founder and chief executive, Larry Page, portrayed it as one of the company’s long-shot projects, like self-driving cars. Arthur D. Levinson, 63, the former chief executive of Genentech and the chairman of Apple, agreed to be the chief executive and is also an investor. [...] Calico stands for California Life Company."
- (18 September 2013). "Time Talks to Google CEO Larry Page About Its New Venture to Extend Human Life". Time. "The Mountain View, Calif.-based company is planning to launch Calico, a new firm that will attempt to solve some of health care‘s most vexing problems. One of the independent venture’s major initiatives will be significantly expanding human lifespan. Arthur Levinson, the former chief of biotech pioneer Genentech, is an investor in Calico and will serve as its CEO."
- McNicoll, Arion (3 October 2013). "How Google's Calico aims to fight aging and 'solve death'". CNN. "Last month Google announced a new medical company called Calico, whose explicit aim is to take on aging itself."
- Womack, Brian (11 August 2015). "Google Rises After Creating Holding Company Called Alphabet". Bloomberg. "Google Inc. rose after reorganizing into a holding company called Alphabet Inc., breaking out its main Web operations from ambitious new endeavors such as research lab Google X and Calico, which seeks to extend human lives."
- First Ever Street Action For Transhumanism In the United States!
- Our “GooglePlex Action” for Radical Life Extension