Human by Design
Human X Design or HxD was an event taking place in July/August 2016 in New York exploring various technologies and ethics around human augmentation.
The event is held in conjunction with Square Enix, publisher of the Deus Ex series and will feature a number of experts and speakers in the area.
The event will be broadcast over Twitch.
IS AUGMENTATION A HUMAN RIGHT?
- E. Christian Brugger - Cardinal Stafford Professor of Christian Ethics at John Vianney Major Seminary in Colorado and author of hundreds of articles on topics in bioethics, natural law theory and the interdisciplinary field of psychology and Christian anthropology
- Dr. Natasha Vita-More - Designer, researcher, and scientist who explores the intervention of biological limited lifespans, selective enhancement, and related socio-political issues.
- Adam Arabian - Ph.D PE, Technical Director of multiple nonprofits and Professor of Engineering at Seattle Pacific University, focused on supporting refugees and underserved communities globally.
- Dr. Steve Mann, Chief Scientist at California-based Metavision, Inventor of HDR (High Dynamic Range) imaging, Founder of MIT Media Lab Wearable Computing project and widely regarded as "The Father of Wearable Computing.”
SELECTIVE VS. THERAPEUTIC AUGMENTATION
- Neil Harbisson, British-born cyborg artist and activist best known for having an antenna implanted in his skull to perceive visible and invisible colors such as infrareds and ultraviolets via sound waves.
- Dr. Michael Chorost - Author of Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human, the groundbreaking “cyborg memoir” about getting a cochlear implant
- Samantha Payne - Co-Founder of Open Bionics, an award-winning startup developing low-cost bionic hands for amputees or those born without a hand
- Dr. Homayoon Kazerooni - Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, where he also serves as Director of the Berkeley Robotics and Human Engineering Laboratory
THE FUTURE OF THE FAR FAR NEXT
- Will Rosellini, IP Expert and serial entrepreneur with three companies in progress that focus on repairing the nervous system using active electrical devices.
- Lucy McRae, Science-Fiction Artist, Director, Body Architect, and TED Fellow probing the frontiers of the body, health and human adaptability
- Zoltan Istvan, Futurist, Author of best-selling philosophical novel The Transhumanist Wager, and 2016 U.S. presidential candidate of the Transhumanist Party
- Tan Le, Founder and CEO of EMOTIV, a bioinformatics company advancing the understanding of the human brain through electroencephalography (EEG).