Humanity+ (Humanity plus) was founded in 1998 as the World Transhumanist Association (WTA) by Nick Bostrom and David Pearce to provide a more inclusive transhumanist view compared to Extropianism and to better engage with the scientific mainstream. The archived WTA site can be found at http://transhumanism.org/index.php/WTA/hvcs/.
Along with the IEET, it is the world's most prominent and influential international transhumanist organisation.
Humanity+ has maintained core documents about transhumanism:
Humanity+ publishes the web magazine h+ Magazine.
Humanity+ operates Humanity+ Press, a nonprofit publisher "focused on works that promote understanding, interest and participation in fields of emerging innovation with strong potential to lead to a radically better future". Humanity+ Press has published six books to date.
Historically, Humanity+ hosted the TransVision series of conferences.
Board and advisors
As of December 2016 the board is comprised of:
- Natasha Vita-More (chair)
- Ben Goertzel (vice chair)
- David Wood (secretary)
- Amy Li (treasurer)
- Jose Cordeiro
- Gabriel Rothblatt
The advisers are :
- Sonia Arrison
- Aubrey de Grey
- James Hughes
- Ayesha Khanna
- Luke Robert Mason
- Max More
- David Orban
- Martine Rothblatt
- David Pearce
- Anders Sandberg
The operation of Humanity+ is governed by a constitution.
Humanity+ is supported financially by membership fees:
- Full Member annual fees are $60, reduced to $30 for students, and for people in developing countries
- Plus Member annual fees are $360, reduced to $276 per year for students and people in developing countries
- Sponsor Member annual fees are $1,000.
Humanity+ also loosely coordinates a series of 'chapters' worldwide.
Humanity+ chapters can be either locale-specific or interest-specific.
In either case, the chapter is set up and championed by Humanity+ members as a specialisation of the overall Humanity+ organisation.
- Chapters: http://humanityplus.org/get-involved-2/chapters-of-humanity/
- Mailing lists: http://transhumanism.org/mailman/listinfo/
Active Humanity+ chapters include the following:
- Australian Facebook page
- Humanity+ @Melbourne Facebook page
- Transhumanism (organisation)
- toronto.transhumanism.com Toronto Transhumanist Association (defunct?)
- Meetup:LifespanBC Lifespan Society of British Columbia
- transhumanizam.fizika.org Croatian Transhumanist Association
- hplusdenmark.wordpress.com HplusDenmark
- Associazione Italiana Transumanisti http://www.transumanisti.it/
- Transumanisti Italiani http://www.transumanisti.org/
- transumanismo.com Humanity+ Portugal
South America and Spanish speaking
- Humanity+ website
- Facebook group (public)
- Humanity+ (paid members only)
- Humanity+ Chapters Facebook group
- Humanity+ on Wikipedia
- HumanityPlus on Twitter