Main page content
- Fixed the description - something reasonable and graphical to have on the front page for now yes? Deku-shrub (talk) 12:13, 4 December 2015 (CST)
- What are the considerations of where the site meta/discussion page should sit? How about on H+Pedia_plan? David W. Wood (talk)
User validation issues
Michael Dodd stated overnight on Facebook, regarding H+Pedia, "They need to work on their systems a bit. Considering, I still cannot get validated on the site." So I've added some items to the (brand new) H+Pedia news page on that subject.--David W. Wood (talk) 02:16, 25 November 2015 (CST)
- Michael later reported that he has since managed to validate his account David W. Wood (talk) 17:53, 3 December 2015 (CST)
This is a (to be expanded) list of plugins I would like:
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Graphical_Category_Browser - create visualisations of page interlinks, very useful of visualising the site in it's early stages
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTree - an alternative
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiEditor - Cite tool, allows for the pop-out rich reference creation tool I use all the time on Wikipedia, without which writing references is a pain
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:ParserFunctions This allows us of 'if' in templates and is needed to get the mediawiki/wikipedia columns and other templates working
- What's involved in enabling these plugins? David W. Wood (talk)
- It varies, but it usually involves downloading some code, placing it in the 'extensions' folder, then editing some config files to 'include' the extensions. Backups are important when doing this :) I could do this if you want but I'd need server access. Deku-shrub (talk) 06:58, 29 October 2015 (CDT)
- Citations/references https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite
- Custom 'this is a series about' templates, more info to follow to aid site navigation
- Pretty templates for the home page :)
- What's involved in enabling these templates? David W. Wood (talk)
- I prefer https on my sites! :(
- Agreed - I'll look into why this doesn't work David W. Wood (talk)
- I think as noted there is some issue with sign-up / validation
- A new MediaWiki release has become available (v1.25.3); perhaps that will fix this problem David W. Wood (talk)
- URL rewritten urls http://techwelkin.com/mediawiki-urls-short-clean-and-beautiful (there are a few guides for this) Deku-shrub (talk) 11:43, 31 October 2015 (CDT)
- I would like the site to have a favicon! Deku-shrub (talk) 09:50, 1 November 2015 (CST)
- There's now a placeholder favicon - it's based on Media:FavIconSource2.png, converted using genfavicon --David W. Wood (talk) 11:29, 22 November 2015 (CST)
- Dear readers, we now are running Google Analytics so we can spy on you. Sorry about this :( Deku-shrub (talk) 18:48, 1 December 2015 (CST)
H+Pedia is a mouthful to pronounce and even type. Are any other names up for consideration? Pluspedia? Futurepedia?
Wiki style guide points
The following will probably move to it's own page at some point.
Where possible, pages should be 'Wikipedia compatible' without use of implicitly shortened names.
[[Category:Political transhumanist organisations]] not
[[Category:Political organisations]] (and assuming the transhumanist element is implicit)
Where the page doesn't need to be disambiguated on this wiki, the simpler name is okay, e.g.
David Pearce (philosopher) as exists on Wikipedia
This wiki accepts most dialects of English, e.g. US and British. As such some spelling variants may have established themselves. e.g.
Should the page be focused on an area which has a specific dialect, native dialects are preferred, e.g.:
The Transhuman National Committee is a United States is a community based political party organization
However it is in the category "Transhumanist organisations"
Right now we don't have the references templates installed, but we will! Simply use inline references like this when you need to cite a reference for now.
When it comes to external links, policy is far more liberal than Wikipedia. Use the following shortened link syntax:
|Facebook page||Facebook Page or FB Page|
|Facebook group||Facebook Group or FB Group|
Tagging original research
It's important to tag where significant original research has taken place rather than mere synthesis and cross referencing of other sources. To this end I've created a category called Category:Original research to hold such topics. Deku-shrub (talk) 14:52, 23 November 2015 (CST)