Transhumanism and drugs
The relationship between transhumanism and drugs covers different areas.
- Advocacy of neural enchantment technologies, specifically nootropics and dislike of their research being limited
- Many support the abolition of suffering as a strong philosophical position
- Transhumanists are mostly liberal in their social policy outlook and support responsible use of recreational drugs
- Morphological freedom advocacy, the idea that you have the right think in any possible way about any possible thing
Many dystopian scenarios are possible in a future with a more liberal drug policy. Soma in Brave New World was literally the opiate of the masses, keeping an oppressed populace distracted from the reality of their situation. Larry Niven's Known Space featured a fictional version of drug addiction known as wireheading, a direct technological application of neural stimulation to create temporary elation, however the effect was so strong it would often lead to users neglecting their basic biological needs and withdrawing from society.
In the United Kingdom, efforts to ban continually evolving 'legal highs' in the 2015-16 Psychoactive Substances Bill has led for a complex set of exceptions such as alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, food and medical products. The bill has been described as 'rushed' by MPs, with confusion over poor definition of 'psychoactive' which could even outlaw incense in churches, as well as nootropics and other benign substances.
- Legalization of Drugs Should Be Part of a Transhumanist Agenda by Zoltan Istvan
- Psychoactive Substances Bill HL 2015-16
- Legal highs: Psychoactive drugs policy 'rushed', say MPs
- The minister in charge of the legal highs bill doesn’t understand his own legislation
- Law & Religion UK
- Exempt smart drugs and nutmeg from drugs law, MPs suggest
- PRESS Transhumanist Party urges exemption of nootropics from the Psychoactive Substances Bill
- Why Transhumanists are Angry About the UK’s New Drug Law
- Legalization of Drugs Should Be Part of a Transhumanist Agenda