Better education initiative
This page describes a transhumanist political initiative that is supported by Transpolitica.
The initiative is summarised as Education for a radically different future.
Description of initiative
Transpolitica advocates a series of transformations in education. A greater proportion of time spent in education and training (whether formal or informal) should be future-focused, exploring:
- Which future scenarios are technically feasible, and which are fantasies
- Which future scenarios are desirable, once their “future shock” has been accepted
- What actions can be taken to accelerate the desirable outcomes, and avoid the undesirable ones
- How to achieve an interdisciplinary understanding of future scenarios
- How resilience can be promoted, rather than society just having a focus on efficiency
- How creativity can be promoted, rather than society just having a focus on consumption
- The intelligent management of risk.
Lifelong training and education should become the norm, with people of all ages learning new skills as the need becomes apparent in the new age of automation. Educational curricula need to be able to adapt rapidly.
Transpolitica would mandate that each university and educational establishment makes an increasing proportion of its material freely accessible online every year.
Education should take greater advantage of MOOCs (massive open online courses), and the possibility for people having their knowledge certified without enrolling in a traditional college. MOOCs can be usefully complemented with location based learning labs (“makerspaces”) absorbing some of existing library empty space, preserving the “open knowledge” of libraries and expanding it into “open education and learning”. Transpolitica anticipates a time where, apart from lab work, the whole of tertiary education will be delivered online.