Consciousness is knowledge, intuition or feeling that a subject has of himself to statements and actions, along with the ability to make moral judgments about good and evil.
"Philosophers have used the term ‘consciousness’ for four main topics: knowledge in general, intentionality, introspection (and the knowledge it specifically generates) and phenomenal experience.... Introspection and phenomenality seem independent, or dissociable, although this is controversial."
- - From the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy Online
David Chalmers, summer 2014
"There's nothing we know about more directly.... but at the same time it's the most mysterious phenomenon in the universe."
- A New Theory Explains How Consciousness Evolved
- How nature created consciousness, Daniel C Dennett
- The Attention Schema Theory (AST)
- Consciousness on Wikipedia