Future shock is the result of the accelerated rate of overwhelming technological and social change.
Tofler actually spoke more about "present shock", failure to adapt to the changes in present reality. With the development of futurology and transhumanism there is now lots of information about the future that people have to adapt to as well.
Future Shock Levels
Future Shock Levels are the levels where different people find themselves in terms of their concept of the future, and what they are willing to consider and what is too futuristic or even shocking for them. The classification was proposed by Eliezer Yudkowsky in 1999 and has been commented on and revised significantly since.
- SL0: The legendary average person is comfortable with modern technology - not so much the frontiers of modern technology, but the technology used in everyday life. Most people, TV anchors, journalists, politicians.
- SL1: Virtual reality, living to be a hundred, "The Road Ahead", "To Renew America", "Future Shock", the frontiers of modern technology as seen by Wired magazine. Scientists, novelty seekers, early adopters, programmers, technophiles.
- SL2: Medical immortality, interplanetary exploration, major genetic engineering, and new ("alien") cultures. The average SF fan.
- SL3: Nanotechnology, human-equivalent AI, minor intelligence enhancement, uploading, total body revision, intergalactic exploration. Extropians and transhumanists.
- SL4: The Singularity, Jupiter Brains, Powers, complete mental revision, ultraintelligence, posthumanity, Alpha-Point computing, Apotheosis, the total evaporation of "life as we know it." Singularitarians and not much else.
- Future Shock Levels initial proposal
- Shock Levels are Point Estimates commentary on LessWrong
- Future Shock Levels - An illustrated guide to the levels
- Future Shock Levels commentary on H+ Magazine
- Future Shock Level Analysis 2002 by Michael Anissimov
- Re: Michael Anissimov's 'Shock Level Analysis' from Eliezer Yudkowsky