H+Pedia news archive
This page contains news items about H+Pedia, with the newest at the top.
Dates below are in UK date format dd/mm/yy.
To comment on any of these news items, use the Discussion ("Talk") page.
For general news resources, you might want to follow various transhumanist news resources.
- 1 10/6/18 Large introductory talk published
- 2 2/3/18 New Mailing list
- 3 14/4/17 New Social Contract prize challenge
- 4 25/11/16 Art Section Editor
- 5 8/11/16 Film and TV Section Editor
- 6 7/11/16 Prize contest
- 7 7/11/16 New H+Pedia roles
- 8 16/10/16 Community Portal
- 9 1/9/16 - H+Pedia Longevity Day/Month prize
- 10 5/5/16 - https access enabled
- 11 13/3/16 - Video embed extension
- 12 17/1/16 - H+Pedia planning meeting
- 13 4/1/16 - Twitter account for H+Pedia
- 14 4/1/16 - MediaWiki software upgrade, 1.25.3 to 1.26.2
- 15 21/12/15 - Short url extension installed
- 16 12/12/15 - Facebook group to discuss H+Pedia
- 17 13/12/15 - Occasional site errors when editing pages
- 18 10/12/15 - Recent pages extension installed
- 19 6/12/15 - Hangout On Air about H+Pedia
- 20 MediaWiki software upgrade, 1.25.1 to 1.25.3
- 21 Functionality added since the initial launch of the site
- 22 A note on users having problems confirming their accounts
10/6/18 Large introductory talk published
You can see a video and talk about H+Pedia and transcription of the talk from TransVision 2017
2/3/18 New Mailing list
14/4/17 New Social Contract prize challenge
The Transhumanist Party (UK) is sponsoring a prize challenge during April and May 2017 for the best H+Pedia contributions on the topic of New Social Contract.
25/11/16 Art Section Editor
H+Pedia is pleased to announce the appointment of user Nildicit as the H+Pedia Art Section Editor. This appointment has immediate effect.
Nildicit will be active in leading the improvement of the articles about transhumanist media, including literature, music and video games.
Note: this excludes Film & TV, which is already in the capable hands of Transhuman Tees.
Please welcome and support Nildicit in this new role.
8/11/16 Film and TV Section Editor
H+Pedia is pleased to announce the appointment of user Transhuman Tees as the H+Pedia Film and TV Section Editor. This appointment has immediate effect.
Transhuman Tees will be active in leading the improvement of the articles covered by:
- the Film and TV category
- the overall list of reviews of films and TV programmes which feature transhumanism or transhumanist topics.
Please welcome and support Transhuman Tees in this new role.
7/11/16 Prize contest
Congratulations to Transhuman Tees and Chad The Humanoid-Goatman for winning prizes in the October 2016 Longevity Month competition. Both these users made a large number of contributions to H+Pedia over the duration of the prize contest:
- Transhuman Tees is awarded the $100 prize for Being the "MVP" (most valuable person)
- Chad The Humanoid-Goatman is awarded the $50 prize for Other outstanding contributions.
Details of the winning submissions can be found on the competition page
The H+Pedia admin team will carry forward the other prizes to another contest which will be announced shortly - a contest which we hope will achieve a wider set of entries.
7/11/16 New H+Pedia roles
As part of the growth of H+Pedia, volunteers are now being sought for a number of roles within the H+Pedia support team. These roles will originally be assigned for a period of three months, but may be extended by mutual agreement:
- H+Pedia Outreach Coordinator - a person with responsibility to spread awareness of the value of the H+Pedia project, particularly by identifying and connecting to potential major influencers
- H+Pedia Section Editors - people who take responsibility, over their three month assignment, to improve H+Pedia coverage of particular areas of transhumanist or radical futurist knowledge.
Applications are invited, between now and 21st November, for these positions. Please email email@example.com, stating:
- Which role you are interested in (and, for section editors, which section of H+Pedia content)
- Why you would be a good fit for that role
- Your plan for what you would do in that position.
People appointed to the above roles will be welcome to:
- Add this responsibility to their professional CVs and LinkedIn content
- Highlight their accomplishments in this role to potential future employees, partners, or clients.
16/10/16 Community Portal
To compliment the new home page, the community portal is aimed at existing and prospective editors rather than just readers. It should provide a central view of activities to get involved with. A link is also now in the side bar. Deku-shrub (talk) 15:35, 16 October 2016 (CDT)
1/9/16 - H+Pedia Longevity Day/Month prize
Entries can be submitted covering contributions to H+Pedia between 1st September and 15th October.
5/5/16 - https access enabled
H+Pedia is now fully https. Important technology if you're going to send messages to the future.
13/3/16 - Video embed extension
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo - Allows embedding of various video types Deku-shrub (talk) 17:03, 13 March 2016 (CST)
See example page: Transhumanist Declaration.
17/1/16 - H+Pedia planning meeting
A public H+Pedia planning meeting took place on Sunday 17th January, as a Hangout On Air. It lasted 60 minutes.
4/1/16 - Twitter account for H+Pedia
4/1/16 - MediaWiki software upgrade, 1.25.3 to 1.26.2
The version of MediaWiki used on this site has been upgraded from 1.25.3 to 1.26.2
21/12/15 - Short url extension installed
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL/Apache - mmm, sexier urls now Deku-shrub (talk) 17:03, 21 December 2015 (CST)
12/12/15 - Facebook group to discuss H+Pedia
13/12/15 - Occasional site errors when editing pages
Some users have experienced error messages on trying to edit or create pages. The error message suggests the user should log out and then log in again, but in that case, the user will find themself unable to log in again, with the error message now referring to the need to enable cookies.
The workaround for this issue is to delete your site-specific cookies for hpluspedia.org.
The issue has been escalated to the providers of the site. They comment that they are not aware of any similar reports from other users. We will monitor for any recurrences.
10/12/15 - Recent pages extension installed
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RecentPages - I have installed this and you can see it in use on the front page :) Deku-shrub (talk) 18:21, 10 December 2015 (CST)
6/12/15 - Hangout On Air about H+Pedia
This Google+ event page provides information about a Hangout On Air, "H+Pedia: Progress, plans, possibilities" that took place 6pm-7pm UK time on Sunday 6th December 2015.
Click 'Read more' in the Details window on that page to see the full details.
MediaWiki software upgrade, 1.25.1 to 1.25.3
The version of MediaWiki used on this site has been upgraded from 1.25.1 to 1.25.3.
MediaWiki provide the following release notes, describing the changes in the new version:
It's unclear, but it's possible that the user validation issues noted below will be fixed by this upgrade.
Functionality added since the initial launch of the site
- The ability for users to upload files
- A favicon for the site - it's based on Media:FavIconSource2.png, converted using genfavicon
A note on users having problems confirming their accounts
Some people who create H+Pedia accounts are reporting the following error message, when they click on the confirmation link inside the email the wiki sends them:
"Invalid confirmation code. The code may have expired."
This has been reported as a known issue in the MediaWiki software which powers H+Pedia. Affected users are advised to simply try again, by requesting another confirmation message from the page Special:Preferences, and waiting until that arrives (it may take a few minutes). In the worst cases, it may be necessary to try again on a following day.
Users need to complete this verification process before the software will allow them to create or edit H+Pedia software.
Note: Email addresses supplied by users are not used for any purposes other than account verification. Administrators of H+Pedia have no access to these email addresses.