Humanity+ (Humanity plus) was founded in 1998 as the World Transhumanist Association (WTA) by Nick Bostrom and David Pearce to provide a more inclusive transhumanist view compared to Extropianism and to better engage with the scientific mainstream. The first Transhumanist Declaration was created at this time.
The archived WTA site can be found at http://transhumanism.org/index.php/WTA/hvcs/.
Today along with the IEET, Humanity+ is the world's most prominent and influential international transhumanist organisation.
Humanity+ has maintained core documents about transhumanism:
Humanity+ publishes the web magazine h+ Magazine.
Humanity+ operates Humanity+ Press, a nonprofit publisher "focused on works that promote understanding, interest and participation in fields of emerging innovation with strong potential to lead to a radically better future". Humanity+ Press has published six books to date.
Historically, Humanity+ hosted the TransVision series of conferences.
Board and advisors
As of December 2016 the board is comprised of:
- Natasha Vita-More (chair)
- Ben Goertzel (vice chair)
- David Wood (secretary)
- Amy Li (treasurer)
- Jose Cordeiro
- Gabriel Rothblatt
The advisers are :
- Sonia Arrison
- Aubrey de Grey
- James Hughes
- Ayesha Khanna
- Luke Robert Mason
- Max More
- David Orban
- Martine Rothblatt
- David Pearce
- Anders Sandberg
The operation of Humanity+ is governed by a constitution.
Humanity+ is supported financially by membership fees:
- Full Member annual fees are $60, reduced to $30 for students, and for people in developing countries
- Plus Member annual fees are $360, reduced to $276 per year for students and people in developing countries
- Sponsor Member annual fees are $1,000.
Humanity+ also loosely coordinates a series of 'chapters' worldwide.
Humanity+ chapters can be either locale-specific or interest-specific.
In either case, the chapter is set up and championed by Humanity+ members as a specialisation of the overall Humanity+ organisation.
- Chapters: http://humanityplus.org/get-involved-2/chapters-of-humanity/
- Mailing lists: http://transhumanism.org/mailman/listinfo/
Active Humanity+ chapters include the following:
- Australian Facebook page
- Humanity+ @Melbourne Facebook page
- Transhumanism (organisation)
- toronto.transhumanism.com Toronto Transhumanist Association (defunct?)
- Meetup:LifespanBC Lifespan Society of British Columbia
- transhumanizam.fizika.org Croatian Transhumanist Association
- hplusdenmark.wordpress.com HplusDenmark
- Associazione Italiana Transumanisti http://www.transumanisti.it/
- Transumanisti Italiani http://www.transumanisti.org/
- transumanismo.com Humanity+ Portugal
South America and Spanish speaking
- Humanity+ website
- Facebook group (public)
- Humanity+ (paid members only)
- Humanity+ Chapters Facebook group
- Humanity+ on Wikipedia
- HumanityPlus on Twitter