- 1 History
- 2 Resources
- 3 Board and advisors
- 4 Membership
- 5 Chapters
- 6 External links
- 7 References
Humanity+ (Humanity plus) was founded in 1998 as the World Transhumanist Association (WTA) by Nick Bostrom and David Pearce to provide a more inclusive transhumanist view compared to Extropianism and to better engage with the scientific mainstream. The first Transhumanist Declaration was created at this time.
The archived WTA site can be found at https://web.archive.org/web/20161012051150/http://transhumanism.org/index.php/WTA/hvcs/
Today along with the IEET, Humanity+ is the world's most prominent and influential international transhumanist organisation.
Humanity+ has maintained core documents about transhumanism:
Humanity+ publishes the web magazine h+ Magazine.
Humanity+ operates Humanity+ Press, a nonprofit publisher "focused on works that promote understanding, interest and participation in fields of emerging innovation with strong potential to lead to a radically better future". Humanity+ Press has published six books to date.
Historically, Humanity+ hosted the TransVision series of conferences.
Board and advisors
As of December 2016 the board is comprised of:
- Natasha Vita-More (chair)
- Ben Goertzel (vice chair)
- David Wood (secretary)
- Amy Li (treasurer)
- Jose Cordeiro
- Gabriel Rothblatt
The advisers are :
- Sonia Arrison
- Aubrey de Grey
- James Hughes
- Ayesha Khanna
- Luke Robert Mason
- Max More
- David Orban
- Martine Rothblatt
- David Pearce
- Anders Sandberg
The operation of Humanity+ is governed by a constitution.
Humanity+ is supported financially by membership fees:
- Full Member annual fees are $60, reduced to $30 for students, and for people in developing countries
- Plus Member annual fees are $360, reduced to $276 per year for students and people in developing countries
- Sponsor Member annual fees are $1,000.
Humanity+ also loosely coordinates a series of 'chapters' worldwide.
Humanity+ chapters can be either locale-specific or interest-specific.
In either case, the chapter is set up and championed by Humanity+ members as a specialisation of the overall Humanity+ organisation.
- Chapters: http://humanityplus.org/get-involved-2/chapters-of-humanity/
- Mailing lists: http://transhumanism.org/mailman/listinfo/
Active Humanity+ chapters include the following:
- Australian Facebook page
- Humanity+ @Melbourne Facebook page
- Transhumanism (organisation)
- Meetup: Toronto Transhumanists Toronto Transhumanist Meetup Group
- Meetup: LifespanBC Lifespan Society of British Columbia
- transhumanizam.fizika.org Croatian Transhumanist Association
- hplusdenmark.wordpress.com HplusDenmark
- Associazione Italiana Transumanisti http://www.transumanisti.it/
- Transumanisti Italiani http://www.transumanisti.org/
- transumanismo.com Humanity+ Portugal
South America and Spanish speaking
- Humanity+ website
- Facebook group (public)
- Humanity+ (paid members only)
- Humanity+ Chapters Facebook group
- Humanity+ on Wikipedia
- HumanityPlus on Twitter
- "About Humanity+". Humanity+. Retrieved 29 December 2017. "Humanity+ is a non-profit 501(c)3 educational organization dedicated to elevating the human condition."
- Dvorsky, George. "Humanity+ @ San Francisco conference starts next week — and io9 will be there!". io9. Gizmodo. Retrieved 29 December 2017. "Humanity+, an organization that advocates the ethical use of technology to expand human capacities, is holding their annual conference next weekend from December 1-2 at the Seven Hills Conference Center at SF State in San Francisco."
- "Transhumanism Meets Design". The New School. Retrieved 29 December 2017. "Humanity+, the world's leading nonprofit organization advocating the ethical use of technology to expand human capabilities, today announced its first conference in partnership with Parsons The New School for Design, a leading art and design school in New York City dedicated to the advancement of design thinking and education."
- "Humanity+". The Petrie-Flom Center. Harvard. Retrieved 29 December 2017. "Formerly the World Transhumanist Association, this is an international organization which advocates the ethical use of emerging technologies to enhance human capacities."
- A HISTORY OF TRANSHUMANIST THOUGHT
- Humanity+ Board
- Humanity+ Advisors