Misconceptions about transhumanism
There are a number of common misconceptions about transhumanism
These mostly include generalisations that certain aspects or vocal groups are representative of the movement as a whole.
- Transhumanists all believe the same thing
- Transhumanists cannot be spiritual
- Transhumanism is exclusively atheistic
- Transhumanism is in fact a religion or a cult
- Transhumanists want to take over the world
- Transhumanists want to turn people into The Borg against their will
- Transhumanists all want to be uploaded to the machines
- Transhumanists all support cryonics
- Transhumanists are technophiles and have an uncritical understanding of emerging technologies
- Transhumanism is impractical
- Support for mind uploading means transhumanists are dualists
- Transhumanism is mainly a libertarian or technological utopian position
- There is limited variety in transhumanist political positions
- Transhumanism is primarily focused on the individual and doesn't care about social issues and other progressive issues
- Transhumanists all support Zoltan Istvan's Transhumanist Party
- Transhumanists all advocate government oversight over genetic engineering programmes.
- Transhumanists don't care about the ethical consequences of emerging technologies
- Transhumanism is a-political or entirely political
- Transhumanists all support eugenics
- Even Materialists Crave Religion
- Common Misconceptions about Transhumanism
- Transhumanism and Degrowth - a false opposition? Note that French techno-progressivists do not promote cryonics, which results in post-mortem consumption and trapped capital."
- The Transhumanist Reader
- Zoltan Istvan does not speak for the Transhumanist Party
- Why Morphological Freedom Is a (Transhumanist) Fantasy: Your Body Isn't Just Your Own - "which transhumanist argue [government-sponsored eugenics programs] are not a risk if the governmental powers-at-be are properly controlled"
- The Political Vacuity of Transhumanism