Oblivion is a postcyberpunk-like, post-apocalyptic science fiction film released in 2013, starring Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman, that is set on a future Earth.
In 2077, sixty years after a war with extraterrestrials that devastated Earth in 2017, humanity has relocated to Saturn's moon Titan via a giant space station called the Tet. Gigantic offshore fusion energy generators drain Earth's oceans to power the colonies on Titan.
As such there are many popular sci-fi tropes and cliches such as:
- Alien invasion, by AI-based aliens for a change
- Post-apocalyptic earth with requisite plucky rebels
- Posthuman astronauts
- Mind wiping
- Human cloning, including obligatory clone vs clone fight to the death
- Suspended animation
The main innovation to the genre is the heavy use of automation:
- Massive giga factories are refining the earth's seas into deuterium fuel
- Relatively smart flying armed drones assess and wipe out threats to the operation
- The drone maintenance man is automated via cloning and brain washing
- The drone maintenance man's wife is automated via brain washing and central orders from the AI