Ryan O'Shea is an American entrepreneur, futurist speaker and founder and host of Future Grind, a podcast and video series that explores the possibilities, ethics, and implications of emerging science and technology.
In 2014, Ryan became involved with Grindhouse Wetware, a group focused on experimenting with technology to augment human capabilities. He represented Grindhouse as a nominee for a World Technology Award in 2015, and he was with the organization during the first implantations of Grindhouse's Northstar device, a process which was featured on an episode of the MTV documentary series True Life.
A background in media production, including experience as a producer in the film and television industry and as a host for local Pittsburgh ABC affiliate WTAE, led him to found Future Grind in 2015. He also serves as the host of the Rejuvenation Roundup podcast through a partnership with the Life Extension Advocacy Foundation.
He is also a co-founder of the artificial intelligence startup Behaivior, which in December 2018 was named one of the top 10 teams in the third and final round of the $5 Million IBM Watson AI XPRIZE, a global competition for teams that seek to use AI to solve societal grand challenges. The company seeks to combine machine learning and wearable devices to predict and prevent opioid relapse, with the ultimate goal of creating a general purpose behavior change platform using artificial intelligence. Behaivior has received funding from the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, Carnegie Mellon University, Innovation Works, and others.
As a futurist speaker Ryan has produced and given talks at conferences around the world, including VivaTech in Paris, France, Marker Faire Rome in Rome, Italy, DEF CON in Las Vegas, Nevada, BDYHAX in Austin, Texas, and more.
- 7 Pittsburgh podcasts you don’t want to miss
- The 2015 World Technology Award Nominees
- Biohackers Are Implanting LED Lights Under Their Skin
- The Latest Trend Among Biohackers Is Implanting LED Lights Beneath Your Skin
- Sneak Peek: I’m a Cyborg
- '4 the 412 Live' Show: Harvest Happenings
- Behaivior is using AI and wearables to help people deal with drug addiction
- Xprize gives an update on $5 million AI competition
- This Pittsburgh startup wants to use AI to stop opioid relapse before it happens
- 2018 Speakers
- Ryan O'Shea Maker, Entrepreneur and Pioneer of Biohacking
- Biohackers at DEF CON 23
- Ryan O'Shea