Synthetic biology is the application of engineering principles to the fundamental components of biology.
"Synthetic biology is the engineering of biology: the synthesis of complex, biologically based (or inspired) systems which display functions that do not exist in nature. This engineering perspective may be applied at all levels of the hierarchy of biological structures – from individual molecules to whole cells, tissues and organisms. In essence, synthetic biology will enable the design of ‘biological systems’ in a rational and systematic way."
- High-level Expert Group European Commission 2005
- Wageningen University Synthetic Biology long read
- Synthetic Biology Project
- Nature Latest Research and Reviews
- Slate What Exactly Is Synthetic Biology? by Jacob Brogan April 2017
- Synthetic biology on Wikipedia
- World Science Festival on YouTube