The Expanse is a book and TV series written by James S. A. Corey and aired by SyFy.
The series chiefly follows the crew of the Rocinante in a future where humans have managed to explore and settle the Solar System using semi-realistic fusion drives.
Space colonisation is a key element of the series. Although some may argue that space colonisation isn't necessarily transhumanist in itself, there are many other elements featured in the series that could be seen to be transhumanistic such as:
- Limb regeneration and artificial limbs (Prosthetics).
- In the first episode of the series, a man who loses one of his arms during an incident speaks of the possibility of gaining a prosthetic arm. In the same segment, it is also mentioned that a technology exists that could fully regenerate his arm to a natural state.
- Use of conditioning techniques and drugs to allow adaption to different environments.
- Regular use of drugs to enhance mental cognition in extreme situations. (see: Nootropics)
- Increased Longevity
- A longevity element is mentioned during the first season when a man mentions (paraphrasing) that; "The life expectancy on earth is 120 years, do you know what it is on Ceres? 68." It is not made clear if this is due medical technology advances, or due to another reason such as Eugenics.
- A bionic eye is used to spy on someone.