The Transhumanist Wager
The Transhumanist Wager is a 2013 novel by Zoltan Istvan.
Featuring a central character called Jethro Knight, the book has been compared to a transhumanist Atlas shrugged in showcasing a particular style of atheistic, libertarian and survivalist transhumanism. That said, Zoltan has since denied the book comprises such a manifesto.
The Transhumanist Wager stars the protagonist Jethro Knights who studies philosophy and sails around the world to promote indefinite life extension. During this time a coup by Christian terrorists successfully take over the US, transforming America's secular government into a theocracy. This causes Knights to create an independent seastanding city 'Transhumania' as a stand against reactionary governments from invading the city.
Zoltan introduced some survivalist philosophy into the book such as the 'Three Laws of Transhumanims':
A transhumanist must safeguard one's own existence above all else.
A transhumanist must strive to achieve omnipotence as expediently as possible—so long as one's actions do not conflict with the First Law.
A transhumanist must safeguard value in the universe—so long as one's actions do not conflict with the First and Second Laws.
- The Transhumanist Wager on Wikipedia
- London Futurists Hangout-on-Air panel discussion on The Transhumanist Wager
- book review | The Transhumanist Wager
- #19: Transhumanism: there are at least ten different philosophical categories; which ones are you?
- NEWS FLASH: The Transhumanist Wager is NOT Zoltan Istvan’s Political Manifesto
- Giulio Prisco — Kurzweil AI. "The Transhumanist Wager and the terrifying struggle for the future". io9.
- "'Transhumanists' are planning to upload your mind to a memory stick…". Technology - Telegraph Blogs.